I've decided I am going on a holiday. I am tossing up between Cook Islands, Thailand, Fiji and Hawaii. I want white-white sand and crystal clear water and that real relaxed & isolated beach holiday feel (basically like I am back at the Maldives but without the Maldives price tag). Any recs??
Some people have said the beach is not 100% clean and the water can be cloudy due to limestone so that's my only hesitation with Thailand - I am a beach perfectionist. It always looks so nice int the brochures though.... Sigh.
The beaches in Hawaii aren't really white sand. In fact, they are golden sand so if white sand is important I would take that off your list. Same with Fiji - and I have heard it's not all that fantastic anyway. Have you considered Koh Samui? The beaches there are meant to be fantastic. I haven't been but my sister has many times and she rates it. I can report back on Phuket when I get back but I don't think it's going to be for you unless you stay on Bang Tao beach which is supposed to be nice.
I went to the travel agent yesterday and they said Fiji islands and cook islands are your best bet for white-white sand, clear water & snorkelling. They said Thailand is greeny water and not clear and no snorkelling. Mark quite likes snorkelling. They also said Tahiti and Maldvies, which i knew, but I want to keep this holiday relatively on the cheap side.
Whoever your travel agent is, they are wrong. The quality of water in Thailand depends on where you are. Some beaches are nice, some are not. And there is plenty of snorkling to be done, particularly around places like Phi Phi. Sounds suspiciously like they have a bunch of packages to move to the Cook Islands and Fiji to me...
If you can find a good deal and can handle something a but touristy Phuket (phi phi?) is quite nice.
ReplyDeleteOtherwise google koh samet in thailand, j went there last year for work and apparently it's lovely.
xx
Some people have said the beach is not 100% clean and the water can be cloudy due to limestone so that's my only hesitation with Thailand - I am a beach perfectionist. It always looks so nice int the brochures though.... Sigh.
ReplyDeleteThe beaches in Hawaii aren't really white sand. In fact, they are golden sand so if white sand is important I would take that off your list. Same with Fiji - and I have heard it's not all that fantastic anyway. Have you considered Koh Samui? The beaches there are meant to be fantastic. I haven't been but my sister has many times and she rates it. I can report back on Phuket when I get back but I don't think it's going to be for you unless you stay on Bang Tao beach which is supposed to be nice.
ReplyDeleteI vote Hawaii - i've always wanted to go there.
ReplyDeleteI went to the travel agent yesterday and they said Fiji islands and cook islands are your best bet for white-white sand, clear water & snorkelling. They said Thailand is greeny water and not clear and no snorkelling. Mark quite likes snorkelling. They also said Tahiti and Maldvies, which i knew, but I want to keep this holiday relatively on the cheap side.
ReplyDeleteWhoever your travel agent is, they are wrong. The quality of water in Thailand depends on where you are. Some beaches are nice, some are not. And there is plenty of snorkling to be done, particularly around places like Phi Phi. Sounds suspiciously like they have a bunch of packages to move to the Cook Islands and Fiji to me...
ReplyDeleteThere is definitely snorkeling off Koh Phi Phi.
ReplyDelete